An early 20th century fancy-coloured and white diamond pendant, set with a central fancy-coloured old cushion-shaped diamond weighing 11.65cts and twelve graduated old circular-cut diamonds in platinum and gold, detachable brooch fitting to reverse, 5.5cm high, case by Hamiltons of Calcutta
Accompanied by report number 2205953131 dated 2 March 2020 from GIA stating that the cushion-shaped diamond weighs 11.65cts and is a natural diamond with fancy yellow colour and VVS2 clarity. Fluorescence: nil.
Provenance: Property of a Gentleman; a godson of Prince Walashan Sahebzada Mir Karamath Ali Khan Siddiqi Bayafendi Bahadur Muffakham Jah of Hyderabad.
Previously owned by Her Highness The Nawab Sultan Jahan Begum (1858-1930). Her Highness kept an eclectic circle of friends, twice travelling to England for the coronations of Edward VII and George V while also counting Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru as friends in later life.
Given as a gift to Agnes Elizabeth Anna Mathew (nee Woodroffe), daughter of the Advocate General and whose husband helped establish the modern judicial system in India. Alongside the Begum, Agnes devoted much effort to the cause of furthering the position of women in Bhopal society in terms of education, health and emancipation. The intent of the movement was for women to be treated as individuals and equals. The Begums of Bhopal defied patriarchal norms and introduced progressive reforms.
Passed directly by gift and thence by descent to the current owner.