A pair of large and impressive Napoleon III ormolu figural twelve-light candelabra attributed to Raingo Freres, each modelled with a seated putto holding a leafy branch issuing six leaf-scroll arms and further lily flowers and leaves, the underside of the base inscribed in pen 'Raingo 11 Vieux', some of the leaf scroll feet stamped 'RG', each on an ebonised stop fluted column plinth with ormolu mounts, the base with a laurel wreath, the candelabra 112.1cm high, the column 100cm high, 51cm diameter. (4)
The firm of clockmakers Raingo Frères was founded by four brothers in Paris in 1813 and was recorded at 8 rue de la Touraine by 1830. Initially the firm was primarily known for its fine quality clocks but by the 1840s they had added bronzes and finely cast ormolu mounts to their repertoire. By 1860 they had carried out commissions for Napoleon III and his wife Empress Eugénie supplying bronzes, garnitures and table pieces for their apartments. Known for the fine quality of their ormolu, the firm exhibited at many of the important exhibitions of the second half of the 19th century and served as fondeurs for a number of prominent sculptors, including Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse and worked with the famous ébéniste François Linke.